It’s day one, and we were up early (or late depending on if you’re normally asleep by 2:30 am) and ready to go! We’re at the Miami airport now and are pretty nervous and excited about the next 5 weeks.
We started the morning once we arrived in Miami with Starbucks for breakfast, and explored the airport a little. It’s huge! It’s easy enough to navigate though so we found a spot to hang out and do some research on our final destination.
Here are a few fun facts:
- Quito is the capital of Ecuador -this is where we fly into!
- After some research, we are hoping to try Sopa de Queso, a chicken based soup with cheese, noodles and potatoes.
- Riobamba is in central Ecuador, surrounded by the Andes
- The Galapagos Islands are just a plane ride away from Quito and Guayaquil
- The currency in Ecuador is the US Dollar
- Riobamba is home to many museums and markets as well as opportunities for hiking
- Most of the Alpaca products are fake (we will be investigating this one more later)!
- The summit of Chimborazo, a volcano in Ecuador, is the highest point on Earth if you measure from the center of the Earth.
- We may or may not experience a few earthquakes during our stay
- Popular foods in the mountainous regions of Ecuador include pork, beef, chicken and cuy (GUINEA PIG)!
We hope you will all continue to read about our journey!